2013 Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award
The deadline for the 2013 Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award was April 1, 2013.
Please check back in the fall of 2013 for information regarding the 2014 Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award. See below for general information on the award.
The Social Action Award, established in 1991, is awarded to a not-for-profit organization in the city/area hosting the annual meeting. The award carries a stipend of $1,000.
The award is a fitting expression of the overall purpose of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, which is concerned with applying scientific methods and theories to the study of social problems. SSSP aims to bring together scholars, practitioners, and advocates to examine and understand social problems in order to further solutions and develop social policy based on knowledge.
When this award was established, SSSP described its purpose as follows:
- The organization selected for this recognition should have a history of challenging social inequalities, promoting social change, and/or working toward the empowerment of marginalized peoples. Its work must demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for cultural diversity.
- Preference is given to small, local agencies in the area the annual meeting is held rather than large organizations or chapters of nationally-based organizations. The main criterion is the extent to which the organization reaches out to the disadvantaged in the community and uses innovative means for dealing with local social conditions.
The award is presented at the Awards Ceremony at the annual meeting.
Members wishing to nominate an organization for the Thomas C. Hood Social Action award complete and submit on online nomination form. This form will be available in the fall of 2013. The form includes the following information:
1. Your name, address, phone number, and email address.
2. The name and address of the organization you wish to nominate.
3. The name, address, phone number, and email address of the organizational contact person.
4. Give an overview of the organization’s work.
5. Indicate why you believe that the nominee merits the award.
6. Please submit any supportive materials in electronic form (as attachments) you believe would be helpful to the committee.
Review the list of the past winners of the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award.