VI. The Editorial Office of Social Problems Forum: The SSSP Newsletter
The Newsletter Editor is recommended by the Editorial and Publications Committee and appointed by the Board of Directors for a three-year term. The Editor can be reappointed to subsequent terms. The Editor is a non-voting, ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and the Editorial and Publications Committee.
In addition to the duties of preparing the Newsletter, the Editor supplies the Budget, Finance, and Audit Committee (through the Administrative Office) with a copy of the budget needs projected for the preparation of a pdf file of three newsletter manuscripts each calendar year.
The primary purpose of the Newsletter is to inform members of the various activities of the Society. The items listed below should appear in the Newsletter. The remainder of the Newsletter reflects the initiative of the Editor in soliciting articles and reviews and in publishing announcements of activities judged interesting to members. Members of the Society can contribute articles, announcements, and book reviews.
The Newsletter includes the following items:
- The Call for Papers for the Annual Meeting announcement
- The Call for Nominations for the various awards made by the Society such as the: C. Wright Mills Award, Division-Sponsored Awards, Joseph B. Gittler Award, Lee Founders Award, Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Scholarship, and the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award
- The Call for Applications for travel support from the Erwin O. Smigel Award, Lee Scholar Support Fund, and the Lee Student Support Fund
- Statement of candidate qualifications and candidate statements of all persons running for an elected office
- Election results when tabulated
- The official minutes of the Board of Directors Meetings and of the Annual Business Meeting, the annual audit, and the approved SSSP budget
- Other announcements of Society activities or activities of its divisions
- A column from the Executive Officer
The Newsletter Editor provides the Administrative Office with a pdf file of the newsletter, which is posted on the Society’s web site. The Administrative Office sends an electronic link to members who request it. The fall issue must be posted no later than mid-November, the winter issue no later than March 1, and the summer issue no later than July 1.